Camping Barbecue Safety

Camping Barbecue Safety

Camping Barbecue Safety

There’s one danger that we’ve been hearing more about in recent years which is scary enough to anyone, let alone those of us with children.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

With the glorious summer sun comes the good old British tradition of getting out the BBQ and dining alfresco.

A few sausages and burgers cooked on a portable BBQ can quite often provide the perfect family meal whilst camping in France however as with all type of cooking, portable BBQ’s can be more dangerous than you think.

There have been various sad tales of people having a BBQ or using a gas powered stove, putting it into their tent once out, believing it to be safe or leaving it on for heat, only to succumb to the dreaded carbon monoxide fumes once they’ve fallen asleep.

Unlike smoke, carbon monoxide has no odour and cannot be tasted therefore making it undetectable to human senses.
There are certain do’s and don’ts when using stoves and BBQ’s.

  • DON’T use them inside your tent, ensure they are used in well ventilated areas.
  • DON’T ever take you portable BBQ back inside your tent, ensure it is full extinguished and then dispose of it in a suitable place.
  • DON’T ever heat your tent with a gas stove or portable BBQ.
  • DO buy a suitable carbon monoxide testing device – it could save your life!

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include drowsiness, dizzyness, vomiting and headaches. Carbon monoxide testers are very simple and fairly inexpensive but when you consider they can save your life, we think they’re well worth having.

Buy yours now